When you first purchase a 406 MHz beacon it's vital that you register it with the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ).
This is a FREE service and applies to all beacons – new or used, separate or installed in a boat, aircraft or vehicle.
- It helps to locate you faster.
- It ensures the most appropriate search and rescue team is sent.
- It's FREE.
When you activate a 406 MHz beacon, it is quickly identified by satellite, which then alerts RCCNZ. If you register, the identification code in your beacon can be searched in the database, so RCCNZ know who you are, who your emergency contacts are and what type of vessel, aircraft or vehicle you are in, or if you are tramping, hunting or diving. RCCNZ may also be able to find out exactly who is with you and how long you have been gone, so they can be in the best position to help you when you are located.
Registering your beacon also helps to eliminate false alarms, which divert search and rescue resources away from genuine emergencies.
How to register
There are two easy ways to register your 406 MHz beacon:
- Fill out the online 406 registration form.
- Or download the PDF
registration form, fill it in and post, email or fax your form
Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand
PO Box 30050
Lower Hutt 5040
Fax: +64 4 577 8041
Email email@example.com or
Phone 0800 406 111 if you have any questions about registering your beacon.
- If you move house or change your phone number, you must update your details with RCCNZ.
- If you sell your beacon or boat, aircraft or vehicle with a beacon in it, tell the new owner to re-register the beacon. Give them this website address or RCCNZ's phone number. Also advise RCCNZ of the transaction yourself, to ensure the details have been updated, or in an emergency, it will be you that will be contacted.
- If you dispose of the beacon or it is lost or stolen, please advise RCCNZ by calling 0800 406 111 (or +64 4 577 8033).
Comments about this website
If you have any comments or suggestions regarding this website please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.